Registration for Huntington UFSD’s fall driver education program is set to begin this week.
The New York State Dept. of Motor Vehicles has modified its rules for driver education programs due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is now allowing classroom instruction to be delivered remotely through a virtual platform and for the in-vehicle instruction to be provided and certified by a parent or guardian.
Students who have reached the age of 16 by September 8 and who hold a valid learner’s permit by the registration date are eligible for the program.
The course will run from September 20 to November 10. Students will log-on two days per week for 1.5 hours each day. Students may only miss a total of two lectures. However, all missed classes must be made up immediately with the instructor. Once a student misses a third class, they may be dropped from the program and will not be eligible for a course completion certificate (MV-285).
The registration fee is $200 for Huntington High School students or $250 for non-Huntington High School students. Checks or money orders must be made payable to: HUFSD Driver Education Program and mailed to: Huntington High School, 188 Oakwood Rd, Huntington, NY 11743 ATTN: Nicole Haas.
The following requirements must be completed in a satisfactory manner to receive a MV-285 certificate: 24 hours of lecture; 24 hours in the car. If the original MV-285 certificate is misplaced, there is a $25 fee for a new certificate.
Classes cannot be made-up once a new semester begins. Therefore, a firm commitment must be made regarding a student’s remote attendance.
The program application packet is posted on the Huntington UFSD website at www.hufsd.edu. Log-on and scroll down to the Daily Downloads section and then to Informative Links. The packet of information is available as a PDF by clicking on the link.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the following procedures will be used for registration:
• Registration will be first-come, first-served basis and priority order will be for Huntington High School seniors, juniors then sophomores
• Registration forms and required documents must be emailed (forms cannot be dropped off)
• Registration details must be followed or registration will not be accepted
Registration will be available as per the following schedule:
• Seniors: (Class of 2022) on Thursday, September 9 from 6:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
• Juniors: (Class of 2023) on Friday, September 10 from 6:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
• Sophomores: (Class of 2024) on Monday, September 13 from 6:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
• Non-Huntington High School students on Tuesday, September 14 from 6:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
Registration and all required documents must be submitted in one e-mail to Nicole Haas (driver education assistant) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration information will be time stamped, reviewed and organized to ensure that the registration details were followed. Incomplete registration applications will not be accepted.
For more information call (631) 673-2018.