Southdown Elementary School opened in September 1954 in the northwest corner of Huntington UFSD. Thousands of students have studied in its classrooms since then with many moving on to remarkable success in college and dozens of career fields.
Southdown’s “graduates” typically look back on their time in the school as a special, if not magical experience. While 65 years have passed since it first opened, it’s still a charming place where the “magic” of education occurs daily.
Southdown Primary School Principal Scott Oshrin. (Darin Reed photo.)
Today’s Southdown Primary School enrolls about 290 students spread across kindergarten through third grade. Not unlike its sister schools in the district, Southdown is a melting pot with youngsters of various creeds, races, cultural backgrounds and personalities all coming together in a splendid display of brotherhood and togetherness.
“Southdown Primary School is a special place for children to learn and grow,” Principal Scott Oshrin said. “We have an incredible staff that is dedicated to the academic, social and emotional development of children during their formative years.”
Southdown students receive an excellent and broad-based classroom education complemented by learning experiences in art, music, library, technology and physical education. An array of special services are available as needed.
“Teachers are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to motivate and engage their students,” Mr. Oshrin said. “Whether it be encouraging creativity in the makerspace, hands on learning in science and math, utilizing technology to enhance learning and motivating children to develop a lifelong love of reading, Southdown teachers are always working to meet the needs of their students.”
All these years later, Southdown still remains a magical place to its alums; just like it is to today’s students who call the school their home.
Want to learn more about the building or visit? Send a message to Mr. Oshrin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southdown School Rises in an Open Field
When Huntington School Board members realized the district was nearing a desperate need for a school in its northwest corner, trustees lined up the purchase of an eight acre parcel carved from what was then known as the McKesson-Brown property, which featured vast open fields stretching from Southdown Road to the beach.
The district paid $38,000 for the land, which once formed a large tract surrounding George McKesson Brown’s 40-room mansion at Coindre Hall. Mr. Brown made his millions in the pharmaceutical industry. He lost much of it when the stock market crashed in late 1929.
District officials found that two other schools would be needed to service the northeast and southwest areas, too. Sites for those schools were evaluated and selected and an architect was engaged to draw up plans for three virtually identical buildings that would soon be known as sister schools.
Construction of the three schools was pegged at $544,000 each, respectively. Along with the purchase prices of the land that would eventually be the sites of Southdown and Washington schools (the Flower Hill parcel was purchased earlier), district residents were asked to approve five separate propositions to fund construction and land acquisition. The propositions totaled $1.73 million.
A district meeting was called for Wednesday, June 17, 1953 at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of Robert K. Toaz Junior High School. It was there that residents gave the green light to proceed, approving all five proposals. Trustees gave a nod to final plans for the three schools in August 1953 and construction bids were accepted in the Village Green School auditorium on Thursday evening, September 25, 1953.
The district then sold bonds and had architectural drawings approved by officials in the State Education Department. When construction began on October 1, 1953 the building today called Southdown was known as Brown’s Road School. Before it opened the School Board decided that new buildings north of 25A should be named after the area in which they were situated and the ones south of Main Street should be named in honor of presidents, thus Southdown, Flower Hill and Washington elementary schools were born.
The blueprint for what would become Southdown and its two sister schools called for 13 classrooms, a library, gym, cafeteria and office space. Capacity was pegged at 350 students spread across kindergarten through sixth grades. The kindergarten program at the time featured separate morning and afternoon half-day sections.
Frederic P. Wiedersum was Southdown’s architect and Paul J. Roche, Inc. served as the general contractor. Courter & Company, Inc. was the heating and ventilating contractor and Charles A. Mulligan served as the electrical contractor.
Although construction was not yet complete, the district began utilizing Southdown in September 1954 as 340 students packed 12 rooms, with the thirteenth room being used as a library.
Southdown was officially dedicated on September 18, 1954 with School Board President Richard McCormack presiding. An open house was held beginning at 1 p.m. with the public invited to tour the gleaming new structure. A formal ceremony was held at 4 p.m. after earlier ones the same day at Flower Hill (2 p.m.) and Washington (3 p.m.) School trustees and teachers were on hand to answer questions. Representatives of the district’s architectural firm and the contractors that built the structures were also present. District PTA organizations helped plan the ceremonies.
Less than four years later, the district again was straining under the weight of increased enrollment. A decision was made to build a large new wing onto Southdown and each of its sister schools. The new sections were unofficially referred to as upper grade wings. The three additions cost a grand total of $800,000. The last payment on that bond was made during the 1982/83 school year.
Southdown’s new wing was delayed by construction problems. When the 1958/59 school year opened, many classes were doubled up and others used the cafeteria and gym as classroom teaching stations. The new wing finally opened in December 1958. It brought the size of the structure to 39,600 square feet. Every inch was needed as Southdown’s enrollment that year totaled 550 students.
Southdown Elementary School was guided through those early years by Principal James J. Sherman, who stayed in the top spot for 15 years. The building has served the community well for more than six decades and is expected to continue doing so far into the future.