A Tradition of Excellence since 1657

On-Site Admissions Initiative a Success

Huntington High School's on-site college admissions program for seniors was a rousing success with 86 percent of applicants immediately accepted and $432,000 in scholarships awarded.

The program kicked-off February 5, with colleges visiting Huntington's college counseling center and interviewing interested members of the Class of 2012.

"By the close of Thursday, February 16, nine colleges had interviewed 50 students, 86 percent of which were accepted immediately following the interview," said Kitty R. Klein, director of guidance. "The remaining 14 percent are currently under review by the admission committees at the individual colleges."

Among the nine participating colleges were Adelphi University, Dowling College, Hofstra University, Molloy College, Nassau Community College, New York Institute of Technology (NYIT), St. John's University, St. Joseph's College and Suffolk Community College.

"Over 90 applications were filed with the nine colleges for on-site admissions and a grand total of $432,000 was awarded in scholarship money over four years," Ms. Klein said.

Huntington's college counseling advisor Bernadette Walsh coordinated the on-site program and fellow members of the guidance department team conducted outreach to seniors with outstanding college applications. The teenagers were encouraged to capitalize on the unique opportunity offered to them right down the main hallway at the high school.

"I am extremely proud of our guidance department," Ms. Klein said.

Back to home

All graphics, photographs, and text appearing on the Huntington Public Schools home page and subsequent official web pages are protected by copyright. Redistribution or commercial use is prohibited without express written permission.