Huntington Considers Budget Development Calendar
With rising pension and health insurance costs, a strict tax cap and continuing state budget constraints, the Huntington School District, like districts across New York, will soon be entering another difficult budget development process.
Central office administrators have shared a draft budget development calendar with Huntington School Board members. It outlines the timeline that will be used during creation of the 2012/13 financial plan.
The draft calendar includes the following dates:
• Budget documents distributed to principals, directors and central administration.
• Deadline for submission of budgets to business office.
• Staffing parameters distributed to principals and directors.
• Elementary staffing projections due to Human Resources.
• Principals present their budget to central office officials.
• Working budget presented to Huntington Board of Education.
• Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of budget for Board of Education, central administration and transportation.
• Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of employee benefits, debt service, inter-fund transfer and capital projects
• Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of instruction and staffing
• Last day for voter propositions to be placed on the ballot.
• Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of revenues and an overall budget review.
• Huntington School Board meeting: Adoption of budget.
• Public hearing on budget at Jack Abrams School at 7:30 p.m.
• Budget vote by residents at Huntington High School from 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Each of the budget meetings will begin at 7:30 p.m. and be held in the auditorium of Jack Abrams School on Lowndes Avenue in Huntington Station. The public is welcome to attend and will be given two opportunities to address trustees.