Huntington School Board Notes
Huntington School Board members approved applying $942,890 in excess fund balance to the district's capital reserve fund, bringing the amount held in the fund to $5,309,967.
David H. Grackin, assistant superintendent for finance and management services said the Huntington School District now has an un-appropriated fund balance of $4,372,292, the statutory limit for the district. There is $2,839,765 in the Worker's Compensation fund and $1,035,720 in the employee benefit accrued liability reserve fund. The unemployment reserve fund currently contains $66,910.
Trustees accepted the resignations of food service workers Lavona Smith (Finley) and John McKenna (high school) for personal reasons. Robert Barca was approved to serve as a long-term substitute social studies at J. Taylor Finley Middle School, effective Sept. 13 through approximately October 21.
Huntington High School students Fiona Geier, Alexandra Martinolich, Matthew Rosenbauer, Lauren Boyce, Rachel Bosco, Danielle Cochrane, Yesenia Morales-Lino, Joseph Tizzo, Jonathan Woods, Michelle Rosenbauer and Araceli Espinal were authorized to work as lab assistants at Huntington High School. They will be paid $7.25 per hour.
Huntington High School students Michael Lambui, Marc Solomowitz, Christine Powers, Gabriel Goldman, Justin Fleiss, Ashley Veliz, Malena Mills, Lauren Bialkowsky and Sebastian Rojas were appointed to the stage crew. They will be paid $7.25 per hour.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Authorized clerical workers Carol Andreski and Theresa Campsey to receive mileage for district related travel.
• Appointed Jacqueline Leonard a part-time (.6) speech therapist.
• Approved budget transfers from one account code to another to cover expenses related to marching band drill design ($1,448), science workbooks ($1,500), training for Huntington High School peer mediators ($800) and instructional salaries related to ongoing curriculum mapping and writing in preparation for full implementation of the common core state standards in English language arts/literacy and math ($10,000).
• Authorized Helen Guarino, Frederick Bisogno, Peter Fusco, Joseph Cohen, Craig McKee, Michael Graziano, Erik Bruckbauer, Jordan Gould and Lauren Desiderio to work as teachers in the alternative high school program. Messrs. Gould, Bisogno and Bruckbauer and Kelly Quintero were also approved to work as per diem substitutes. The teachers will be paid $53.25 per hour.
• Approved a request by Quest Lacrosse of Huntington to use the Huntington High School turf field on Saturday or Sunday, October 8 or 9 between 8-10 a.m.
• Kelly Quintero, Chelsea Jablon and Silvia Gilbert were approved to serve as new teacher mentors. They will each be paid an annual stipend of $750, which is funded through a Title IIA grant.
• Authorized Kailene Abt, Christine Amodeo, Angelica Becerra, Elizabeth Geller, Meghan Jost, Amie Leggett, Joanne Mulberg, Melissa Munno, Nicole Nobile, Kevin Osborne, Linda Ray, Kaitlyn Reyes and Margaret Schaefer to serve as per diem substitute teachers. They will be paid $90 per day when they work.
• Approved a proposal for land surveys of Flower Hill Primary School and Jefferson Primary School.
• Appointed club advisors at J. Taylor Finley Middle School, including Deborah Kim (honors string ensemble), Josephine Rosado (show choir), Christopher Scarnato (jazz ensemble) and Frank Battista (wind ensemble).
• Approved a revised agreement with ShotSpotter. The revision involved umbrella insurance coverage.
• Appointed Araceli Espinal as a four-hour food service worker at J. Taylor Finley Middle School.
• Appointed club advisors at Huntington High School, including Brian Stellato (wind ensemble and instrumental director), Lisa Leonardi (chamber orchestra), Veronica Mainville (Tri-M Music Honor Society, choral director and jazz choir) and Jason Giachetti (jazz ensemble).
• Approved a consultant services contract with Jacquelyn Nealon, Ed.D. in the amount of $600. She will be a speaker during a financial aid workshop scheduled for December 19.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Diana Browning Wright in the amount of $3,600 per day plus travel expenses (coach airfare, transfers including car rental, hotel accommodations and meals up to $43 per day.) She will "provide a district-wide Response to Initiative Institute on behavioral interventions and strategies, as well as progress monitoring."
• Approved a consultant services contract with Clayton Cook, Ph.D. in the amount of $2,000 per day plus travel expenses (coach airfare, transfers including car rental, hotel accommodations and meals up to $43 per day.) She will "provide a district-wide Response to Initiative Institute on behavioral interventions and strategies, as well as progress monitoring."
• Appointed Dana Schlaikjer as an AV technician. He will be paid $45 per hour.
• Appointed Dana Cacciato to serve as an instructor in the district's adult education program. She will be paid $25 per hour.
• Approved changes in assignment related to an increase in the length of the workday for Huntington High School food service workers Vivi Mourelatos , Lucrezia Groe and Olga Velasquez.