Huntington School Board Notes
Huntington School Board members approved a flurry of personnel actions during their meeting this past Monday night in the Jack Abrams School auditorium. Trustees approved a leave of absence for Huntington High School security guard Tina Cantalupo through January 13, 2012 and authorized speech therapist Yafit Lucas to return from a leave of absence effective February 1, 2012.
Barbara Amore (J. Taylor Finley Middle School) and Ronald Anderson (high school) were given part-time appointments (four hours per day) to work as food service workers. Erminia Smith was approved as the district's MSG Varsity liaison at a stipend of $2,000. Student Andrew Phelan was authorized to work as a lab assistant at Huntington High School. He will be paid $7.25 per hour.
Washington School classroom teacher Melissa Lang was recalled from the district's preferred eligibility list, effective November 15. Conrad Dierking (Woodhull School/classroom/effective through April 16, 2012) and Suzanne Knoerzer (Washington School/classroom/effective through June 30, 2012) were approved for long-term substitute teacher appointments.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Approved a memorandum of agreement with the district's food service unit represented by the United Public Service Employees Union on a contract for the period stretching from July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011. The contract provided for a salary increase of one percent. Unit members required to use their respective car for travel between buildings will be entitled to mileage reimbursement at the current IRS rate.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Millennium Speech Pathology Services for independent speech, occupational and physical therapy evaluations. The company will be paid $250 per evaluation and report.
• Authorized budget transfers from one account code to another to cover costs associated with a SMART Board at Flower Hill School ($1,079), New York State School Boards Assn. dues ($500), Weekly Readers at J. Taylor Finley Middle School ($100) and replaced of the electrical service at Finley ($84,000).
• Approved special education services contracts with the South Huntington, Harbofields and Cold Spring Harbor School Districts.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Lynn Stock to provide workshops on Understanding Danielson's Framework for Teaching on December 1, December 6, March 6 and March 8. She will be paid $300 per workshop.
• Authorized clerical worker Linda Caccamo to be reimbursed for district related travel between buildings.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Heather Thorgersen to provide SEARCH program related workshops. She will be paid $50 per workshop on the primary grade level and $75 for intermediate grade level workshops.
• Declared as surplus a Canon AP830 word processor.
• Authorized that a petty cash account be maintained and administered by Carmen Kasper, district director of foreign language, ESL and bilingual programs in the amount of $100.
• Appointed Saturday Academy faculty members including Nancy Wilson (administrator) and Angela Berner (coordinator).
• Approved Jennifer Croke, Michelle Martin and Carol Meinen as PSAT proctors. They will be paid $48.97 per hour.
• Appointed Angela Berner the director of the district's Teacher Center. She will be paid a stipend of $10,000.
• Appointed Lucy Ann DeChiaro as Teacher Center secretary. She will be paid $13.95 per hour.
• Approved Elizabeth Caserta, Jessalyn Christen, Richard Liebowitz, Nicole Lynch and Veronica Mainville to work as piano accompanists at a rate of pay of $24 per hour.
• Diane Dentico was appointed an instructor in the district's adult education program. She will be paid $25 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Barbara Luna to provide Marzano high yield instruction strategies workshops on November 17, December 15, January 12 and February 7. She will be paid $300 per workshop.
• Accepted a donation by Martin Viette Nurseries of a snow goose flowering cherry tree for use as a living memorial at Woodhull Intermediate School in honor of student Patrick Hannon who passed away last summer while attending a Boy Scouts camp in Rhode Island.
• Approved a rider to the district's 2011/12 transportation contract with the Huntington Coach Corp. related to bus service for school age residents to Holy Child Academy in Old Westbury.
• Approved Amanda Custini (teacher), Kim Doyle (nurse), Kevin Zaharios (security guard), Elissa Melkonian (teacher aide), Gina Gaal (food service) and Joseph Marzigliano (custodian) to work as substitute employees on an as needed basis.
• Appointed Kim Valerio and Matt Harris as Finley stage crew advisors.