Huntington School Board Notes
Huntington School Board members have approved a request to retire submitted by longtime J. Taylor Finley Middle School special education teacher Susan Jeno, effective at the end of the current school year.
Trustees also accepted the resignation of buildings and grounds department secretary Angela Gerardi (effective Dec. 13) and approved Washington School special education teacher Jennifer Stucchio's request to return from a leave of absence, effective Jan. 30, 2012.
Robert Barca was approved to work as a long-term substitute social studies teacher at J. Taylor Finley Middle School through Jan. 9, 2012. Huntington High School student Alexa Kaplan was appointed to the stage crew. She will be paid $7.25 per hour when she works.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Authorized Carol Palacio (teacher), Matt Harris (high school stage crew), Gina Gaal (food service) and Kristine Warren (clerical) to work as substitute employees during the 2011/12 school year.
• Approved additional work for high school science teachers Dame Forbes and Edward Florea and Finley science teacher Judy Pazienza who will conduct chemical inventories at their respective schools during the 2011/12 school year. The high school teachers cannot exceed 32 hours of work and Ms. Pazienza is limited to eight hours. They will be paid $48.97 per hour.
• Appointed Silvia Gilbert and Eileen Gonzalez as new teacher mentors for the 2011/12 school year. They will be paid $375 each.
• Authorized Lisa White and Jonathan Hernandez to work as supervisors at athletic events. They will be paid $31.70 per hour when they work.
• Approved post-season pay for Blue Devil coaches Steve Muller, Cable Todd Jamison, Ron Wilson, James McCabe, Joseph Poller, Jillian Seher Talleur, Kathleen Wright, Jamie Fishlow, Debra Cheskes, John Pagano, Jason Suarez, Christopher Helmke and Margaret McConnell. Head coaches receive $132.75 per day and assistant coaches are compensated at the rate of $103.29 per day.
• Approved special education services contracts with the West Islip Union Free School District and Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Island Better Hearing "to provide audiological services for students and supplies necessary for children with hearing aids, cochlear implants and FM systems."
• Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. Michael Rosenfeld for neuropsychological/psycho-educational evaluations. He will be compensated at the rate of $1,825 for an evaluation and report.
• Approved a request by Superintendent James W. Polansky for him to attend the 2011 annual school law conference presented by the Nassau County Bar Assn. in Mineola and the New York State School Boards Assn. conference on "Solving the School Budget Puzzle: Tax Levy Limits and the Challenges Ahead" in Islandia on January 12, 2012.
• Conducted a second reading of district policies on the sexual harassment of district personnel and students and adopted both policies.
• Conducted a first reading of a new district policy on students with life-threatening health conditions.