The Huntington High School wrestling team cast aside its struggles in dual meets this winter and turned in an impressive display at the 26th annual Herricks New Year’s Invitational tournament last weekend.
The competition drew teams from Herricks, Huntington, East Meadow, Great Neck North, Hempstead, Massapequa, St. John the Baptist, Southampton and Ward Melville.
The Blue Devils were led by freshman Lucas Cirlincione (99 lbs. Varsity C bracket) and Tazadon Smith (220 lbs. varsity bracket) who both captured weight class championships. Joe Petrone (99 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket), Aedan McDonald (132 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket), Zach Zboray (132 lbs. Varsity C bracket), Ryan Baker (138 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket) and Jon Koumas (182 lbs. varsity bracket) all garnered second place honors.
- Lucas Cirlincione: He won five matches, including an 8-7 decision, 18-1 technical fall and pins in times of 0:58, 1:43 and 2:30.
- Tazadon Smith: He pinned all five opponents in times of 1:24, 3:20, 0:57, 1:49 and 1:03.
- Joe Petrone: He went 4-1 on the day, including pins in times of 5:50, 3:30, 1:16 and 1:02. His only defeat came in a 6-2 decision.
- Aedan McDonald: He went 3-1 on the day, including a 9-5 decision and pins in times of 1:34 and 3:57. His only loss came in a 10-3 decision.
- Zach Zboray: He went 3-1 in the tournament with a 12-0 decision and pins in times of 2:05 and 2:44. His only defeat came in a 6-0 decision.
- Ryan Baker: He went 4-1 with four pins coming in times of 1:59, 3:45, 1:23 and 0:38. His lone defeat was an 8-3 loss.
- Jon Koumas: He went 3-1 with 6-3 and 5-4 decisions and a pin in 0:45 seconds. His only lost was a 3-0 decision.
Anthony Martin (152 lbs. Varsity C bracket) captured third place; Kaleef Riley (220 lbs. Varsity bracket) and Aidan Mroztek (285 lbs. Varsity bracket) both finished fourth; Roseac Caleb (220 lbs. Varsity bracket) and Samir Rathore (120 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket) both placed fifth; Charles O’Rourke (126 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket) and Ethan Franciscovich (132 lbs. Varsity A/B bracket) both finished sixth and Jonathan Oliva-Hernandez (285 lbs. Varsity bracket) placed seventh.