Huntington School Board members formally accepted eight separate donations to the district during a public meeting of the trustees in the Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School auditorium this past Monday night.
The family of trustee Xavier Palacios presented the night’s largest gift; $43,500 in all. Mr. Palacios designated $40,000 of it to be used to benefit the Huntington High School mock trial program. Another $3,500 was earmarked for the Blue Devil wrestling program.
A member of Huntington’s Class of 1988 and a practicing attorney, Mr. Palacios volunteers his time as a legal advisor to mock trial team members, who compete in matches against other Suffolk high schools. Mr. Palacios and his brother, Steven both participated in the Blue Devil wrestling program when they were students in the district.
Trustees also accepted seven other donations to the district:
• The National Football League Foundation presented a donation of $4,000 for use by the Huntington High School football program to purchase supplies and equipment.
• A person who chooses to remain anonymous presented a donation of $1,080 to purchase choir jackets for the Huntington High School music department.
• Macy’s presented a donation of $500.00 to J. Taylor Finley Middle School. It will be used for materials supporting Finley’s positive self-image initiative.
• The Huntington chapter of the Long Island Board of Realtors presented a donation of $300 to be used toward the purchase of supplies and equipment for the Huntington High School music department.
• The Southdown Primary School PTA presented a donation of $1,500. The donation is earmarked to defray upcoming field trip expenses.
• Ms. Roberta Williams donated a rocking chair to Huntington High School for student use. The donation is valued at $20.
• Stop & Shop located on Wall Street in Huntington village donated snacks and bottled water for use at the Southdown Primary School’s PTA Family Fitness Night.
Interested in donating to the Huntington UFSD? Contact Assistant Superintendent for Finance & Management Service Kathleen Acker at email@example.com or 631-673-2111.