Current Huntington School District third and fourth grade parents are being asked to select either Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School or Woodhull Intermediate School as the school they want their child to attend next September when the students will be in fourth or fifth grade.
Parents of current Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School fourth graders are not required to file the selection form since the youngsters will be continuing in the same building next year.
The completed form can be submitted electronically (preferably) or via US Mail. The deadline is January 26. A letter detailing the selection process along with a school choice form have been mailed to parents.
An electric version of the selection form can be accessed via the district website at www.hufsd.edu. Go to the Quick Clicks link on the top right of the homepage and under “For Parents” click on the link for Grade 4-5 School Choice Form: Jack Abrams STEM/Woodhull. Visit https://goo.gl/forms/ZNzZ0r6iXbllSUlw2 for direct access to the electronic version of the form. It can be completed and submitted online.
A printable copy of the selection form can also be accessed on the district website under Daily Downloads in the “Informative” section. It can be found by clicking on the link for School Choice Parent Letter & Selection Form.
Those who choose to mail the completed form should send it to: Huntington Union Free School District, P.O. Box 1500, Huntington, NY 11743; Attention: School Choice.
Parents are asked to consider the following:
• While the core instructional program will be similar in both buildings, schedules will vary at each school to accommodate an interdisciplinary STEM block at Jack Abrams at all grade levels and an instructional period that will accommodate a survey of languages in fifth grade at Woodhull.
• An enrollment cap and the need for a lottery may develop only if choices exceed section capacity in either building. Such a lottery would involve random drawing from respective primary school attendance zones.
• Those who indicate “no preference” or who do not return the form will be assigned after those who have made choices are accommodated.
• Students in the “bridge” and dual language programs need not return the form as they will be assigned to Jack Abrams and Woodhull, respectively.
• Once enrolled in a given school, it is expected that a student will remain in that school through grade six.