It has become easy to follow all the happenings across the Huntington School District from wherever you happen to be at any given time. You could be halfway around the world or right across the street. It doesn’t matter. You have access to the same up-to-date information.
The district moved away from monthly community newsletters many years ago, finding the material expensive to produce and deliver and determining that much of it was old news by the time it finally arrived in mailboxes.
Beginning with district’s earliest incarnation of a website and continuing with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram pages and a YouTube channel, Huntington UFSD has perhaps the most comprehensive online presence of any district in New York.
Log onto the district’s website at www.hufsd.edu and scroll down to the bottom left of the homepage. You will find links to Huntington UFSD’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages.
Everyone is invited to follow the Huntington School District on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. All of these platforms can be accessed from desktops, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, etc.
Electronic devices can also be pre-programmed with the following links:
• To locate the district’s Facebook page, copy and paste this link into your browser: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingtonUFSD
• To find the district’s Twitter page go to www.twitter.com/hufsd
• You can follow Huntington’s Instagram page by visiting https://www.instagram.com/hufsd_ny
• You can subscribe to the district’s YouTube channel by visiting https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0zcXOH1XMeRvEgoo1aX7jg
“Among the many things in which we take pride is our comprehensive website and our social media presence,” Huntington Superintendent James W. Polansky said. “There are great things happening in Huntington daily and we are not afraid to share them! All in the school community are encouraged to visit our site routinely and subscribe to each of Huntington’s social media sites so as to keep up with district news, as well as the accomplishments of our students and staff.”
Huntington UFSD also provides website visitors with an interactive calendar filled with important event listings. There’s even a mobile app for the calendar.
To access the interactive calendar off the district website (www.hufsd.edu) homepage, go to the Quick Clicks Bar and select District Calendar from the drop down menu. Click on the link for Interactive District Calendar or click on the icon to the above left of the traditional links. A link to access a PDF of the full 28 page printed version of the calendar is also available on the same page.
Folks can add a mobile app to their phone or tablet device to access the calendar:
• Enter www.calendarwiz.com/hufsd in your device's browser.
• Select Mobile view when prompted.
• Days with a dot beneath the number have events. Tap the day number to view the event details.
• Swipe left and right, or use the arrows to move from month to month.
• Tap the Today button to return to the current month.
• Tap an event to view the event details and description. Use the Done button to return to month view.
Compared to a traditional print version, the interactive calendar contains a substantial amount of additional information. It will be maintained on a regular basis with additional events added as they are scheduled.
Viewers can sort events by school or event category. They can also download all or parts of the calendar using the “Export” feature, which might make it easier for personal reference.
Interested in receiving an e-mail reminder before an upcoming event? Just click on the event and a window will open; click on the “Remind” button, enter your e-mail address and choose how much advanced notice you would like. Should you need assistance in navigating the calendar, a “Help” button is available in the upper right corner.
The district website also provides a listing of Upcoming Events on the bottom of the homepage. It’s an easy way to see what is happening in the district on any given day or to check on events set to occur in the near future.