The Huntington girls’ track team is revving up for the Suffolk League III championships on Saturday at 9 a.m. at Suffolk-West in Brentwood.
The Blue Devils used three competitions last week as tune-ups for the league meet. Head coach Debra Cheskes and assistant coach Shawn Anderson are pleased with the progress individual athletes have been making.
Huntington’s roster features a mix of seniors and underclassmen. The three meets over the course of seven days, including back-to-back competitions on Saturday and Sunday tested the Blue Devils.
“Overall, it was a solid showing over a busy weekend and indicates we are heading in the right direction,” Anderson said. “As usual, the League Championships looks to be a difficult meet. Our goal is still the same; to put the best combination of athletes in their respective events and represent Huntington to the best of our abilities.”
Here’s a recap of last week’s meets:
Jim Zeitler Relays at Suffolk-West
• 4x800m relay: The team of Marina Ruzic, Alexis Pastorelli, Sophie Dellecave, and Hadley Clayton set a season best of 10:29 to take third place.
• Shuttle Hurdle Relay: Ryann Gaffney, Rebecca Caballero and Mardnie Mentor placed second in a time of 28.93 seconds.
• 4x400m relay: Not long after the shuttle hurdle relay had concluded, Gaffney and Cabellero teamed up with Ruzic and Pastorelli to finish second in 4:19.
• Race-walk relay: Erika Varady and Keily Rivas continued to put their stamp on the league, finishing 1-2 in 15:45.18. The duo secured first by more than three minutes. Rivas set a personal best of 7:53.43.
• Shot put relay: Nephar Durand and Jolena Smith teamed up to place third with combined throws measuring 58-02-feet.
Molloy Stanner Games at the Armory in Manhattan
• Sophomore sprint medley relay: The team Dellecave, Phoebe Walther, Vennyse Green and Rivas all had personal bests, placing 11th overall in a time of 4:48.84.
• 1600m: Rivas (5:55) and Valerie Rogel (6:08) both notched personal bests.
• 300m: Catie Ricciardelli (46.21) and Amber Stieve (48.28) had personal bests.
• 55m high hurdles: Gaffney (9.02 seconds) and Erin Morrisroe (10.17) both posted season best times.
Art Mitchell Meet at Suffolk-West
• 55m: Morrisroe notched a best time of 8.41 seconds.
• Sophomore 1000m: Clayton placed fourth in a best time of 3:19.11.
• Sophomore 600: Dellecave placed fifth, racing to a best time of 1:51.88.
• 55m high hurdles: Gaffney placed third in 9.18 seconds.
• Sophomore 1500m: Clayton captured first place in 5:23.44.
• 1500m: Niamh Condon ran to a best time of 5:25.93.
• Sophomore 1500m race-walk: Varady (7:43.66) and Rivas (7:43.87) finished 1-2. “They are now the top two ranked sophomores in Suffolk and in the top ten overall,” Anderson said.
• Sophomore shot put: Durand captured third overall, tossing 29-06.25-feet.